Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Rat Queen Costume - The Finished Pieces

Finally. Four months and a whole load of rhinestones later, it's finished! These are just photos of the finished pieces, an actual photoshoot will follow soon...hopefully.
First up, the choker. I was having a hard time finding a brooch for the middle of this, as nowhere sells them these days. I eventually found this in Spotlight (a sewing store). It was meant to be a pendant, but I just glued a badge back onto it. It turned out really well, (I think I prefer this to Emilie's original one!)

Next up, the ears. These were a nightmare to make, since I HATE superglue. I always end up with it all over my fingers, and it hurts *sob*. I have discovered (a little late) that nail varnish remover gets some of it off. But now everything smells like nail varnish remover. Anyway, the ears turned out quite well, and I love how the feathers look, even if they aren't exactly grey. It used hairgel to get them non-fluffy. It was the only time i've said "Where do you keep the hairgel? I need some for my ears." Good times.

Now, the corset. It hasn't changed dramatically since my last W.I.P, but still. I've added the chains ($2 shop and old necklaces! Whoop!) and i've beaded the bottom. So much handsewing went into this, more than i've ever done before. I didn't mind it that much, though. I could sit and watch television or a movie or something, instead of being stuck behind a sewing machine. Many episodes of Downton Abbey, Child Of Our Time and Ace Of Cakes went into the making of this corset. Many thanks to all involved in making those shows.

Onto the bustle. This is quite hard to photograph without it just looking like a pile of random fabric, but believe me, it looks good. There aren't many pictures (that I could find) of the original bustle, so I just made most of this up. Because of this there are hardly any rhinestones on it, for the sake of my sanity. I'm really happy with how the distressing turned out. I used a stick of incense to burn the holes, but it only worked on the really fine chiffon. For everything else, I just attacked it with scissors and my nails. Take my word for it that it looks awesome when worn...

And finally the boots. As soon as I saw these I fell in love with them, and spent a rather ridiculous amount of money on them in the name of cosplay. Just to continue the theme, I added some rhinestones to the heels (they're not permanent!). Also, here is the finished sign from earlier.

So, that's the Rat Queen costume finished. What will I tackle next, I wonder...?

No comments:

Post a Comment